The variables are staggering. Sometimes I think ignorance is bliss, just because once you start studying food -- where it comes from, how it's made, and how it affects your body -- there is no end! The food industry is a labyrinth of conflicting information and messages from growers, manufacturers, advertisers, experts, reporters, doctors... the list goes on. Over the past few years I have done a lot of reading, studying, and improving things step by step. I have discovered you can't bite off more than you can chew (pun intended).
Here's a little summary of my stance:
The best food to eat is real food, as close to it's natural form as possible, the way God made it. It's even better if it's organic because it will be free of pesticides, herbicides, and genetic modification. It's even better still if it's local, because that means we are eating in the "season thereof", as described in my ultimate guide to eating, The Word of Wisdom. That also means we are supporting the local economy and biodiversity. My sister-in-law recently linked me to a great summary of food guidelines: 10 Rules to Eat Safely For Life. I also highly recommend Michael Pollan's books, especially In Defense of Food. They were a strong catalyst for this journey we're on. And lastly, there are hundreds of food blogs out there, but my favorite is 100 Days of Real Food. It is testimony that this can be done by normal families, and it's full of great recipes too.
Moving on. In the summer, I feel like I have a lot more control over my food because I can grow it myself. (We are working on a garden design and I am getting excited!) The rest of the year is harder. I want to keep our tummies full of produce, but I have to decide how. I have really been exploring and experimenting at different stores, trying to figure out where to get the best food at the best price. This has been pretty challenging -- not only is it out of my comfort zone, but I am also trying to work within a pretty tight budget.
I have been looking into various co-ops and CSA's (community supported agriculture). Last week I ordered from Bountiful Baskets and got all this for $16 plus a 25 lb bag of white wheat for $15 (white wheat is lighter and finer than red wheat--all I have in food storage--which makes bread and baked goods better).
Although it's a good deal, I end up with things like jerusalem artichokes that I don't know what to do with, and none of it is local.
Ideally I would order from a CSA, but I haven't tried yet. Here is some information about a couple:
Jacob's Cove of Orem is famous for their heirloom tomatoes. From the sounds of their last blog entry, they are working on some major structural changes that will provide state-of-the-art growing space for year-around produce.
Utah Farms combines seasonal produce and products (including eggs and honey) from farms all over Utah. The price seems reasonable, but it's still double what I pay for BB...
Some other recent things I've tried include:
Costco: organic spinach, eggs, chips, butter, and strawberry jam;
Lara bars, local bread, natural peanut butter, honey, frozen berries
WinCo: best bulk foods, including ingredients for homemade granola, grains such as wheat pasta, lentils, and spices, farm raised tilapia, and THIS:
Well, I can tell you this is NOT what I expected when I cut it open. I guess I was imagining a mango or something. It's white and fleshy with black seeds resembling kiwi. It's a little bland with a hint of nutty... not a favorite, but interesting nonetheless.
Good Earth: This was going out on a limb for me. I am used to shopping at Smith's and know all the aisles, brands, and favorites. But I decided if I am serious about eating organic I needed to try buying everything organic and see how the prices differ. Some prices, like on cheese, were too high to swallow so I got them at WinCo. Other things, like spaghetti sauce and yogurt, had good brands and prices I could manage. The produce section was small, but I found everything I needed at was happy it was all organic. They also have a bulk section, but again you pay a little more for it because it's organic.
In summary, these changes haven't been easy, but I figure since I am the main influence on five people's food choices -- and the effects of those choices -- I better take it seriously. The horticulturist in me gets excited for the challenge of raising my own food, and the mom in me gets excited about kids who eat less candy and more ants on a log.
As Lisa Leake from 100 Days of Real Food says, "You see, every time we food shop or eat a meal we are voting for either processed food-like substances or real food. If all of us make the right choices together then we can make a big impact, which will help change our country’s food system for the better." We can do it! You can too! If anyone reading this is interested, I can recommend some first steps to take. If anyone has tips, I'd love to hear them!
I have always wanted to try good earth. Maybe now I will!
ReplyDeleteGREAT POST!! I think you might also like "Empty Harvest" (it's a great one to skim, but good stuff in it, none-the-less). I love how you said you're taking your job seriously on being in charge of yourself and five other people's eating choices (or was it five total?). It really puts it into perspective.
ReplyDeleteI'm excited to see your garden at your new home and how the design works out.
Also, let me just say Lauren... you would LOVE Sunrider foods. They are foods. Not pills or supplements. INCREDIBLE foods to help fill in the nutritional gaps and contribute towards great health. Anyway, it'd be fun to skype some time, if you ever want. I am a BABY at gardening and am wanting to do a garden this year (coming up so soon!) and would love advice, and I could tell you more about Sunrider foods if you wanted.
Thanks again for the post! Love it.
I found you! :) So after looking through your blog, I'd say Peggy was right in pointing you out! You know a lot more about this stuff than you were giving yourself credit for. :) I'm with you on the food thing...I have read and read and find my head spinning by the time I'm done. I agree though, we definitely need to get back to whole foods and real ingredients. I am slowly trying to do this with my family but I am finding it comes at quite an expense!...baby steps. Anyway, your blog is great!
ReplyDelete